Culturally located practice
Reflections for individual teachers
As you watch this video, think about the keys to educational success for Pacific learners.
- Think of ways to acknowledge that Pacific learners are culturally located and how effective education embraces culture. How do you enhance your Pacific learners’ sense of identity and belonging and encourage them to actively embrace their culture and language?
- How will you explore Pacific cultural knowledge, theories and values to support the development of culturally responsive theory and practice in your classroom?
- Think about how you can be more culturally responsive in your teaching. Reflect on your cultural knowledge and teaching as it relates to Pacific culture. How can you use your Pacific learners’ cultural knowledge and perspectives as a resource for teaching?
Reflections for staff or departments
If you are a staff member or member of a department team, think about how you can contribute to a school curriculum that supports Pacific learners to achieve educational success and retain their Pacific culture.
- Share your thoughts about
- why culturally responsive pedagogy is important
- how culture supports educational achievement
- the importance of teachers' attitudes and behaviour towards culturally diverse learners.
- How is your school creating a safe and supportive environment for staff to learn and grow relationships? What can your school do to connect with families and communities?